From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] sudo in kernel config ?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:30:32
1 On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 00:06:04 +0100 Peter Humphrey
2 <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Saturday 11 September 2010 23:03:14 Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
5 >
6 > > Makes sense?
7 >
8 > Not convinced. Sorry.
9
10 The Merriam-Webster gives this definition of "potential":
11
12 "existing in possibility : capable of development into actuality"
13
14 which is exactly what I meant in my original post. I linked a document (if
15 you read that), and the exploit described there could happen only if one
16 installed the kernel sources downloaded from kernel.org. Hence the
17 "potential" in the above meaning: if one did not use those sources,
18 there was no risk for that specific exploit.
19
20 But since you're not convinced, now it would be nice, for my own education,
21 and perhaps someone else's, that you elaborated a bit more. What exactly do
22 you find non convincing in that usage of the adjective? How would you
23 express the concept better?