From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smartctrl drive error @60%
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 22:32:49
1 On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 6:16 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > What I really need to do, set up a RAID or some other backup method so
3 > that even if this happens again, I don't risk losing anything. Then
4 > again, that will take time as well. Also takes money.
5
6 Keep in mind that RAID is more about speed of recovery and protects
7 against the failure mode of total drive failure, which is a fairly
8 common failure mode. A hard drive failure on a RAID involves no
9 unplanned downtime, and a need for some short planned downtime to
10 replace the drive.
11
12 Backup protects against a lot more, but typically results in a
13 recovery that takes hours, and when the drive goes you're down without
14 warning.
17 > Most of that is recorded TV shows, movies etc. I also have some pics I
18 > took with my camera that can't be replaced. Those I backup to DVDs
19 > pretty regular. I use kbackup to tarball them and then burn them to
20 > DVDs. It works. One set is outside the home in case of fire. The
21 > biggest thing is some of those shows would be hard to get again plus the
22 > effort to get them as well.
23
24 So, stuff like photos I backup to the cloud, or to offsite media
25 (generally I favor the cloud for active stuff, and offsite media for
26 stuff I'm done with). Ditto for things like /etc, mysql, documents,
27 email, and other small but important things.
28
29 For stuff like MythTV recordings I used to just rely on RAID -
30 recognizing that there was a very real possibility that I could lose
31 them all. Now I also do a backup to a drive that is normally left
32 unmounted, which isn't great, but since I moved to btrfs I wanted
33 something on ext4 that had daily rsnapshots. Again, I'm willing to
34 risk losing this stuff.
35
36 Rich