From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CF and Gentoo
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:18:45
1 On 26 Sep 2008, at 19:21, James wrote:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
6 >> Bear in mind the limited write lifetime of flash memory. Don't put /
7 >> var
8 >> or /tmp on such a card if you can avoid it.
9 >
10 > Well, I'm not sure any other alternatives are attractive? Unless
11 > I find a way to mount those partitions off of a usb stick, or
12 > some other idea?
13 >
14 > Since they are not frequently updated and have minimal installed
15 > software
16 > (iptables on firewalls and DNS on DNS servers) accompanied by the
17 > fact that most devices have internal wear leveling; it should take
18 > many years to reach the write cycle limits?
19
20 I've read a fair little bit about this subject and never gotten a
21 definitive answer on what is "safe", but AIUI the wear-levelling on
22 flash memory is filesystem-dependent. Thus it may work fabulously well
23 for FAT filesystems, and not at all for EXT.
24
25 Having said that, from my experience most of the nay-sayers telling
26 you not to put stuff on a CFcard for this reason are talking
27 speculatively - I have encountered one or two people who have used
28 CFcards very happily for years. It does seem sensible to store logs,
29 tmp & Portage directories on a RAM disk or hard-drive, NFS mounted if
30 necessary, but generally I would say just get on & try it. 4gig
31 CFcards are, after all, cheap as chips these days. Oh! It may be
32 possible to reduce the number of writes to the card by changing mount
33 options in /etc/fstab and have writes flushed less frequently.
34
35 You might consider posting about this - or merely searching the
36 archives - on the MythTV users list, as the subject does come up
37 periodically and there are a number of people using CF cards in this
38 way to reduce noise in the TV room.
39
40 >> You could dd the card to a file and use the same file every time
41 >> you need
42 >> a new card.
43 >
44 > Um I do not mean to be a pain, but could you provide a little bit
45 > of pseudo-syntax? Assume I have shutdown a 4 GB CF firewall card
46 > and moved it to a reader/writer on another machine. First I need
47 > to format the raw (new) 4GB CF card from a reader.
50 Put CFcard with existing filesystem in card-reader:
51 dd if=/dev/sdX of=~/diskimage.img
52
53 Swap cards in reader, writing to blank now:
54 dd if=~/diskimage.img of=/dev/sdX
55
56 You need to ensure that neither card is mounted when following this
57 procedure - booting from a LiveCD or 3rd filesystem.
58
59 Stroller.