From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] where did lvm installation guide go?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 07:17:46
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 30/08/2013 03:45, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Aug 29 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
6 >>>> I have experience with LVM, but not systemd or dracut or initramfs
7 >>>>
8 >>>> * both grub and grub2 support lvm
9 >>> Does GRUB legacy handles /boot in LVM? I haven't tried that yet.
10 >> That I don't know. I believe the LVM "companion manual" that I am
11 >> seeking and that I used for previous installs advised against /boot on
12 >> lvm (probably also /lib and others). Perhaps this was simply reflecting
13 >> no initramfs. Hence any grub issue with /boot on lvm didn't arise.
14 > I believe this is correct
15 >
16 > grub-legacy never did directly support reading lvm volumes,
17 > you must use an initramfs
21 That is my understanding as well. I switched from it a while ago but
22 almost certain it only supports regular file systems like ext2, ext4 etc
23 etc.
24
25 Dale
26
30 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!