From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Verification of audio CD copy?
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 19:13:41
1 On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 1:02 AM, Joerg Schilling
2 <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> It seems that the command
6 >>
7 >> readcd -c2scan
8 >>
9 >> fails on both of my drives for all media types - retail CDs, copies of
10 >> CDs on CR-R and CD-RW. It always hangs. It hangs at different places
11 >> if I rerun it.
12 >
13 > If it fails with different drives from different manufacturers, try to
14 > run if from a differnt OS in order to verify whether you are a victim of
15 > a long term Linux kernal bug that modifies SCSI commands on their way to the
16 > drive.
17 >
18 > Jörg
21 Expand please.
22
23 Run it on a different OS? The machine is dual-boot Gentoo/XP but your
24 site doesn't seem to have an updated Windows version. (Unless it's not
25 in the win32 directory.)
26
27 I presume you did not mean 'different kernel' as your assertion is
28 that the bug is long-standing and therefore will be in other kernels.
29
30 How do I run in another OS? Build recent source under Windows and
31 somehow run it there? I'm up for trying that but I'm not a developer,
32 don't have a Win 32 compiler, and wouldn't know where to start. Does
33 gcc run under Windows? Could I compile in Linux for Windows and test
34 the drive under Windows that way?
35
36 Thanks!
37