From: Ale <elcorreodeale@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to avoid NetworkManager logs <info> in terminals
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:03:07
1 2008/2/18, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>:
4 > On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 18:08 -0200, Alejandro Bednarik wrote:
7 > > 2008/2/16, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>:
8 >
9 > > try adding
10 > > >/dev/null 2>&1
11 > > to the end of it.
12 >
13 > > Hi!
14 > > about sudo /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart >/dev/null 2>&1 I tried this
15 > > before send this email, but the NetworkManager logs <info> and <debug>
16 > > in the tty1 anyway, the only change is that i don't see any output in
17 > > the terminal i run the command.
20 > aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh i see...
21 >
22 > I thought you were on console 1, I didn't realise that NetworkManager
23 > printed output to console 1 even if you started it from elsewhere... Now
24 > I get it!
25 >
26 > > about start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec ${processname} yes, i
27 > > also tried your suggestion before send the email, but with the same
28 > > bad result.
29 >
30 > yes, won't work given what you've said...
31 >
32 > > I not sure but for me, the parameter console=tty1 i have in the the
33 > > kernel line i use in grub have something to do (i use fbsplash and
34 > > fbcondecor), but is not the only reason, i check sabayon linux which
35 > > use NetworkManager, fbsplash and fbconvecor just like the way i do,
36 > > but NM don't do the same.
37 >
38 > Sounds like NetworkManager is using syslog() to write to the log file,
39 > and you have syslog set up to notify you. This usually happens by
40 > printing messages to console 1! NetworkManager seems to translate glib
41 > errors directly to syslog errors. Have a look at nm-logging.c if you
42 > want to see more about that.
43 >
44 > Anyway, depending on the logger you use (I use syslog-ng) you can set it
45 > up not to be so verbose. syslog-ng allows you to filter based on
46 > program name for example. man syslog-ng.conf for more info (or whatever
47 > logger you use :)
48 >
49 > Have a look at http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng.conf for some examples.
50 >
51 > HTH,
52 >
53 > --
54 > Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
55 >
56 > I can understand how they wouldn't let in those wild jungle apes, but what
57 > about those really smart ones who live among us who rollerskate and smoke
58 > cigars?
59 >
60 > -- Homer Simpson, on Heaven
61 > The Telltale Head
62 >
63 > --
64 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
67 You rock! that was the key of my problem, i just added syslog-ng to the
68 default run level and i don't get more that odd behavior of NetworkManager.
69 Now is time to configure syslog-ng properly.
70
71 Many thanks! :D
72
73 Cheers!