From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kon Colivas is working again on a new scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 23:23:38
1 On Sonntag 06 September 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 06 September 2009 00:48:40 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > > Also, have you considered that you got it all backwards? The kernel
4 > > > configuration tells you that for lower latencies, you should use 1000Hz
5 > > > and PREEMPT. It even says "Desktop" right there. Why should I take
6 > > > your word over that of the kernel devs who actually wrote that code?
7 > >
8 > > low latency means bad throughput and that hurts IO.
9 >
10 > The average desktop user on Linux needs low latency. To get that, one must
11 > sacrifice some throughput efficiency.
12
13 and then complain, that IO hurts?
14
15 btw, I think, I am an average user, doing the average stuff, and I am pretty
16 happy with 'voluntary preemption'.
19 > 1. server usage
20 > 2. Massive bleeding edge desktop hardware that can give acceptable
21 > performance regardless of what you throw at it.
22
23 well, until 4 weeks ago a X2 6000.. not really bleeding edge. HD3870. That was
24 bleeding edge 2 years ago....
27 > have you considered that there is a large population of users whose needs
28 > and workload are totally different from yours and therefore require
29 > something completely different to you?
32 yes, but I consider my workload average. Surfing the web, watching tv, watching
33 movies with xine/vlc/mplayer. Listening to music with amarok and alsaplayer.
34 Typing stuff. Sometimes skype. Burning a dvd once in a while. vegastrike,
35 ut2004, if I want to play a game.
36
37 See? Average.
38
39 Now 32 sound streams in ardour (or whatever tool you use for that), that is
40 hardly 'average'.