From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kon Colivas is working again on a new scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 23:08:28
1 On Sunday 06 September 2009 00:48:40 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > > Also, have you considered that you got it all backwards? The kernel
3 > > configuration tells you that for lower latencies, you should use 1000Hz
4 > > and PREEMPT. It even says "Desktop" right there. Why should I take
5 > > your word over that of the kernel devs who actually wrote that code?
6 >
7 > low latency means bad throughput and that hurts IO.
8
9 The average desktop user on Linux needs low latency. To get that, one must
10 sacrifice some throughput efficiency.
11
12 The average server machine needs high throughput. To get that, one must
13 sacrifice some latency efficiency.
14
15 Latency and throughput cannot both be optimal as they conflict. One must pick
16 the point of the line on the graph that best suits one's needs and move
17 forward from there. I have no idea what hardware you run but your replies
18 indicate a high possibility of one of these:
19
20 1. server usage
21 2. Massive bleeding edge desktop hardware that can give acceptable performance
22 regardless of what you throw at it.
23
24 have you considered that there is a large population of users whose needs and
25 workload are totally different from yours and therefore require something
26 completely different to you?
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com