From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kon Colivas is working again on a new scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 22:48:46
1 On Samstag 05 September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 09/05/2009 05:59 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > >> 1000 Hz timer freq
4 > >
5 > > change that to 300
6 > >
7 > >> Did you mean tickless system with "noticks"? I have this enabled ATM
8 > >
9 > > deactivate that.
10 >
11 > Even with that, there still are problems. With composite enabled, move
12 > an mplayer window around and see how the video starts to skip big
13 > amounts of frames at the moment you start moving and when you "drop" it
14 > again. The compositor takes away CPU time and mplayer starves for a
15 > short time. BFS solves this.
16
17 nope. No drops. vlc, xine, mplayer. At least no visible drop - and none of the
18 three is complaining.
19
20 But there is a pro-tip: use a non-broken X. aka one with
21
22 fedora_dont_backfill_bg_none.patch
25 > Also, have you considered that you got it all backwards? The kernel
26 > configuration tells you that for lower latencies, you should use 1000Hz
27 > and PREEMPT. It even says "Desktop" right there. Why should I take
28 > your word over that of the kernel devs who actually wrote that code?
29
30 low latency means bad throughput and that hurts IO.
34 > > if that does not help:
35 > >> And with extX I assume you meant the file systems? I'm aware that ext3
36 > >> is not very efficient with large files, but I can't/don't want to use
37 > >> ext4 yet because I need to access the partition from windows.
38 > >
39 > > neither use ext3 nor ext4.
40 >
41 > The I/O blockage has nothing to do with the CPU scheduler. Or at least
42 > not much. The "GUI freezes during file copy" problem is another beast.
43 > BFS doesn't solve that.
46 it is a mixture of cpu-scheduler, 'harddisk'-scheduler, filesystem, drivers.