From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kon Colivas is working again on a new scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 19:59:33
1 On 09/05/2009 05:59 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 >> 1000 Hz timer freq
3 >
4 > change that to 300
5 >
6 >> Did you mean tickless system with "noticks"? I have this enabled ATM
7 >
8 > deactivate that.
9
10 Even with that, there still are problems. With composite enabled, move
11 an mplayer window around and see how the video starts to skip big
12 amounts of frames at the moment you start moving and when you "drop" it
13 again. The compositor takes away CPU time and mplayer starves for a
14 short time. BFS solves this.
15
16 Also, have you considered that you got it all backwards? The kernel
17 configuration tells you that for lower latencies, you should use 1000Hz
18 and PREEMPT. It even says "Desktop" right there. Why should I take
19 your word over that of the kernel devs who actually wrote that code?
22 > if that does not help:
23 >
24 >> And with extX I assume you meant the file systems? I'm aware that ext3 is
25 >> not very efficient with large files, but I can't/don't want to use ext4
26 >> yet because I need to access the partition from windows.
27 >
28 > neither use ext3 nor ext4.
29
30 The I/O blockage has nothing to do with the CPU scheduler. Or at least
31 not much. The "GUI freezes during file copy" problem is another beast.
32 BFS doesn't solve that.