From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kon Colivas is working again on a new scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 14:59:18
1 On Samstag 05 September 2009, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Samstag, 5. September 2009 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
3 > > > > There are lots of people mentioning interactivity problems on their
4 > > > > Linux machines when compared to Windows or OS X. It's not "1 in a
5 > > > > thousand".
6 > > >
7 > > > I second that. My whole system becomes quite unresponsive if I only
8 > > > copy a file of a couple of hundred MBs from an external HDD, say a
9 > > > video of 600 MB. OK, it's only a relatively slow laptop HDD, but that
10 > > > shouldn't happen nonetheless. (Gentoo sources with CFQ as standard IO
11 > > > scheduler).
12 > >
13 > > retry without forced preemption, with Hz=300 and without noticks. Oh, and
14 > > maybe without extX.
15 >
16 > My current values for those are:
17 > Preemptive (Low-Latency Desktop)
18
19 and change that to voluntary.
20
21 > 1000 Hz timer freq
22
23 change that to 300
24
25 > Did you mean tickless system with "noticks"? I have this enabled ATM
26
27 deactivate that.
28
29 if that does not help:
30
31 > And with extX I assume you meant the file systems? I'm aware that ext3 is
32 > not very efficient with large files, but I can't/don't want to use ext4
33 > yet because I need to access the partition from windows.
34
35 neither use ext3 nor ext4.