From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kon Colivas is working again on a new scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 14:51:46
1 Am Samstag, 5. September 2009 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
2
3 > > > There are lots of people mentioning interactivity problems on their
4 > > > Linux machines when compared to Windows or OS X. It's not "1 in a
5 > > > thousand".
6 > >
7 > > I second that. My whole system becomes quite unresponsive if I only copy
8 > > a file of a couple of hundred MBs from an external HDD, say a video of
9 > > 600 MB. OK, it's only a relatively slow laptop HDD, but that shouldn't
10 > > happen nonetheless. (Gentoo sources with CFQ as standard IO scheduler).
11 >
12 > retry without forced preemption, with Hz=300 and without noticks. Oh, and
13 > maybe without extX.
14
15 My current values for those are:
16 Preemptive (Low-Latency Desktop)
17 1000 Hz timer freq
18 Did you mean tickless system with "noticks"? I have this enabled ATM
19 And with extX I assume you meant the file systems? I'm aware that ext3 is not
20 very efficient with large files, but I can't/don't want to use ext4 yet
21 because I need to access the partition from windows.
22 --
23 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
24 Error 96: Found dead mouse in hard drive C: