From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kon Colivas is working again on a new scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 14:17:10
1 On Samstag 05 September 2009, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Samstag, 5. September 2009 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
3 > > On 09/05/2009 03:06 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 > > > well, and your workload asks for rt. But rt also means overhead,
5 > > > reduction of performance. So why cater for 1 in a thousand system and
6 > > > punish the other 999?
7 > >
8 > > There are lots of people mentioning interactivity problems on their
9 > > Linux machines when compared to Windows or OS X. It's not "1 in a
10 > > thousand".
11 >
12 > I second that. My whole system becomes quite unresponsive if I only copy a
13 > file of a couple of hundred MBs from an external HDD, say a video of 600
14 > MB. OK, it's only a relatively slow laptop HDD, but that shouldn't happen
15 > nonetheless. (Gentoo sources with CFQ as standard IO scheduler).
18 retry without forced preemption, with Hz=300 and without noticks. Oh, and
19 maybe without extX.