From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recovering root password
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:17:01
1 On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
2 > This One Time, at Band Camp, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@×××××.com> said,
3 On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:03:29AM +0100:
4 > > > But you can boot from a LiveCD, mount your harddrive, chroot and then
5 > > > give root another password.
6 > >
7 > > But then, conventional passwords are as useless. One needs no more
8 > > than physical access to the computer, a LiveCD and a couple minutes in
9 > > order to become the super user of your system. Basically, the password
10 > > seems useful only to know whether anyone has changed it behind your
11 > > back.
12 > >
13 > > I am starting to wonder why am I so attached to my root password being
14 > > strong.. :)
15 > > Liviu
16 >
17 > That's why I have my entire installation over a DM-CRYPT ( LUKS
18 > encrypted partition... ), including swaps and storage ( LVM over
19 > DM-CRYPT actually), this way even if someone had a physical access to
20 > my laptop, both GRUB and LiveCD approach would be useless...
21
22 I've thought about going for this . . . and then backpedaled once more. Every
23 time I had a fs problem I have managed to recover to this date without much
24 trouble. Vanilla primary and extended partitions seem to be straight forward
25 to access with any LiveCD. To be honest even when I had to frig about with
26 LVM I managed to recover without loss of data (more out of luck than skill I
27 suspect). The thought however, that I may lose my private key (never say
28 never), or lose a drive and need to access my data pronto from a back up
29 makes me somewhat nervous. Should I be more brave that this?
30 --
31 Regards,
32 Mick