From: Wael Nasreddine <mla@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recovering root password
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 08:30:49
1 This One Time, at Band Camp, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@×××××.com> said, On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 09:03:29AM +0100:
2 > > But you can boot from a LiveCD, mount your harddrive, chroot and then
3 > > give root another password.
4
5 > But then, conventional passwords are as useless. One needs no more
6 > than physical access to the computer, a LiveCD and a couple minutes in
7 > order to become the super user of your system. Basically, the password
8 > seems useful only to know whether anyone has changed it behind your
9 > back.
10
11 > I am starting to wonder why am I so attached to my root password being
12 > strong.. :)
13 > Liviu
14 That's why I have my entire installation over a DM-CRYPT ( LUKS
15 encrypted partition... ), including swaps and storage ( LVM over
16 DM-CRYPT actually), this way even if someone had a physical access to
17 my laptop, both GRUB and LiveCD approach would be useless...
20 Wael Nasreddine
21 http://wael.nasreddine.com
22 PGP: 1024D/C8DD18A2 06F6 1622 4BC8 4CEB D724 DE12 5565 3945 C8DD 18A2
23
24 /ö\ Son, this is the only time I'm ever gonna say this. It is not okay to
25 /ö\ lose.
26 /ö\
27 /ö\ -- Homer Simpson
28 /ö\ Dead Putting Society