From: Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recovering root password
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 08:03:32
1 On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> wrote:
2 > > I've revived an old Gentoo laptop, but I've forgotten the root
3 > > password. I remember the password to my user account and I can log
4 > > in there fine. Can I recover the root password?
5 >
6 > If you could passwords were useless. ;-)
7 >
8 > But you can boot from a LiveCD, mount your harddrive, chroot and then
9 > give root another password.
10
11 But then, conventional passwords are as useless. One needs no more
12 than physical access to the computer, a LiveCD and a couple minutes in
13 order to become the super user of your system. Basically, the password
14 seems useful only to know whether anyone has changed it behind your
15 back.
16
17 I am starting to wonder why am I so attached to my root password being
18 strong.. :)
19 Liviu
20 --
21 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list