From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recovering root password
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:59:00
1 Am Dienstag, 25. März 2008 schrieb ext Liviu Andronic:
2 > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> wrote:
3 > > > I've revived an old Gentoo laptop, but I've forgotten the root
4 > > >
5 > > > password. I remember the password to my user account and I can log
6 > > > in there fine. Can I recover the root password?
7 > >
8 > > If you could passwords were useless. ;-)
9 > >
10 > > But you can boot from a LiveCD, mount your harddrive, chroot and then
11 > > give root another password.
12 >
13 > But then, conventional passwords are as useless. One needs no more
14 > than physical access to the computer, a LiveCD and a couple minutes in
15 > order to become the super user of your system. Basically, the password
16 > seems useful only to know whether anyone has changed it behind your
17 > back.
18
19 That's only true if you didn't do anything else to protect the system. All
20 the above is useless if the / filesystem is encrypted.
21
22 > I am starting to wonder why am I so attached to my root password being
23 > strong.. :)
24
25 Because it protects your system from abuse.
26
27 Bye...
28
29 Dirk
30 --
31 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
32 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
33 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
34 Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
35 D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
36 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net