From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel options and udisk
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 04:13:52
1 Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > Kind of off-topic, but...
5 >
6 > For backups, I prefer a bunch of disks in a RAID configuration. After
7 > all, what good is an online backup system if the data becomes
8 > corrupted without me realizing it...
9 >
10 > I heard QNAP makes good ones. Or I can always make an LVM-based one,
11 > booting off a USB stick. Still considering which route to take,
12 > though... The former is more expensive, but the latter is not that
13 > much cheaper either, considering I have to build a complete system
14 > with a honkin' big casing + honkin' big PSU to feed them hard drives...
15 >
16 > And neither provides an off-site backup...
17 >
18 > Rgds,
19 > --
20 >
21 > Pandu E Poluan, ~ IT Optimizer ~
24 So far, knock on wood, I have only had one drive to die on me and I got
25 the data off before it did with some time to spare. I agree with RAID
26 but what happens if the house catches fire? What if someone breaks in
27 and steals my puter, even tho I'm a really good shot? o_O I usually
28 put my backups on DVD but when you start storing videos, that goes out
29 the window pretty fast. So, I figure I'd just get me some sort of USB
30 drive and backup to that from time to time.
31
32 Those questions are what happens when you try to account for each and
33 every thing that *can* happen tho. It gets expensive pretty quick. I
34 could just download most all the videos again so even if a few were to
35 get corrupted, I can most likely get them back. Things I create myself,
36 I have backups on DVD since it is a MUCH smaller number. Those DVDs are
37 in a separate building too, in case of fire or something.
38
39 Dale
40
44 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!