From: Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to manage package.keywords for greater system reliability?
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 22:23:32
1 On Fri, 22 May 2009 12:38:34 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 22 May 2009 07:40:28 -0300, Jorge Morais wrote:
5 >
6 > > > maybe you should just run a ~arch system.
7 > > I want a reliable system. Isn't ~arch quite less reliable than arch ?
8 >
9 > Not in my experience. ~arch only means the builds are in testing, the
10 > software is as reliable as upstream makes it. You may hit the occasional
11 > problem when updating, but once the software is installed it will be as
12 > reliable as on any other distro.
13
14 I find it hard to believe this.
15 ~arch often releases a X.0 version soon after it is released. It
16 normally only enters stable after upstream has released the X.2 or
17 X.3 bugfix release.
18 Also, the Gentoo developers take some care to make the stable packages
19 harmonious. For example, stable GCC can compile other stable packages.
20 But a ~arch GCC seems to result in bugs (look at bug #198121,
21 "GCC 4.3 porting"). So ~arch users tend to eat more bugs.
22
23 I think my doubt is very important.
24 Pity that the Python-uninstallation thread stole all attention :(
25
26 Oh, and do you also think that the introduction of _FORTIFY_SOURCE
27 by default in GCC-4.3.3 without warning (no mention in the Changelog)
28 was bad manners of the developers? I think I should take this thread to
29 gentoo-dev