From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to manage package.keywords for greater system reliability?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 11:38:45
1 On Fri, 22 May 2009 07:40:28 -0300, Jorge Morais wrote:
2
3 > > maybe you should just run a ~arch system.
4 > I want a reliable system. Isn't ~arch quite less reliable than arch ?
5
6 Not in my experience. ~arch only means the builds are in testing, the
7 software is as reliable as upstream makes it. You may hit the occasional
8 problem when updating, but once the software is installed it will be as
9 reliable as on any other distro.
10
11 > (Also, newer software versions are often more bloated).
12
13 That's a highly subjective view, and quite irrelevant. New versions can
14 be about adding features, or they can be about bug-fixing and optimising
15 existing features.
16
17 > > It's been said many times that a mixed system is a potential source
18 > > of trouble.
19
20 > I didn't hear it.
21
22 It comes up on this list frequently when discussions about problems
23 caused by mixing arch and ~arch are mentioned. I run mainly ~arch but a
24 couple of computers run arch plus some packages in package.keywords. I can
25 honestly say that the pure ~arch machines are just as reliable. The
26 reason I run the arch boxes is that stability is important for them; not
27 in the reliability sense (that's important everywhere) but in reducing
28 the number of updates needed on each box.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 Whats the difference between a magician and a brothel?
35 One has a cunning array of stunts,