From: Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to manage package.keywords for greater system reliability?
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:36:50
1 On Fri, 22 May 2009 09:00:05 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 21 May 2009 21:41:22 -0300, Jorge Morais wrote:
5 >
6 > > Or maybe I should just stick to all-stable, so as to not be different,
7 > > and keep package.keywords for those packages where I really want a new
8 > > feature (like packages with no stable versions)?
9 >
10 > If you want so many up to date packages
11 It is not so much. My package.keywords/longterm lists 13 packages; my
12 package.keywords/shortterm lists 21 packages, many of which will get out
13 of there in the future, as the version I use become stable.
14 5 of these 21 packages would not be there if I always had my current
15 "it is better to avoid the bleeding edge" view.
16
17 > maybe you should just run a ~arch system.
18 I want a reliable system. Isn't ~arch quite less reliable than arch ?
19 (Also, newer software versions are often more bloated).
20
21 > It's been said many times that a mixed system is a
22 > potential source of trouble.
23 I didn't hear it.
24
25 > Your comparison of stable Gentoo with Debian
26 > testing is strange, since the Gentoo equivalent is ~arch.
27 I thought Debian testing was more stringent regarding reliability than
28 Gentoo ~arch; anyway, the point is that when a new bugfix release (like
29 gimp 2.6.6) is released, I want to see if other distros consider the
30 bugfixes important enough to pick it; I chose Debian because I am
31 somewhat familiar with it; and Debian testing because AFAIK Debian
32 stable only rarely picks updates that are not security-related. Some
33 people even say that Debian stable is for servers.