From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing dependencies without upping version ??
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 20:05:23
1 On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:37:53 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2
3 > Is this an officially approved technique?? it is DIRTY.
4
5 If the change doesn't affect the installed code, it is encouraged to
6 avoid unnecessary rebuilding.
7
8 For example, a new version of LibreOffice or Chromium depends on libfoo,
9 but the dev doesn't notice and already has libfoo installed so it works
10 for him. You also have it installed so the upgrade works for you, then it
11 fails for me and I file a bug report. If the dev revbumped the ebuild,
12 you would have to spend a couple of hours rebuilding Chromium to get
13 exactly the same code you had before. By not revbumping it, he fixes the
14 problem for me without inconveniencing you.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 System halted - Press all keys at once to continue.