From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing dependencies without upping version ??
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2017 22:18:09
1 On 2017-09-24 21:05, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > If the change doesn't affect the installed code, it is encouraged to
4 > avoid unnecessary rebuilding.
5 >
6 > For example, a new version of LibreOffice or Chromium depends on
7 > libfoo, but the dev doesn't notice and already has libfoo installed so
8 > it works for him. You also have it installed so the upgrade works for
9 > you, then it fails for me and I file a bug report. If the dev
10 > revbumped the ebuild, you would have to spend a couple of hours
11 > rebuilding Chromium to get exactly the same code you had before. By
12 > not revbumping it, he fixes the problem for me without inconveniencing
13 > you.
14
15 I see, but of course in this case the effect would be exactly the
16 opposite - forcing me to rebuild the core qt packages and everything
17 that depends on them. And if this was not a mistake, it must have been
18 clear that would happen.
19
20 It feels like a sneaky way to finally get the few remaining qt4 stragglers
21 out of the way.
24 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
25 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
26 Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.