From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 19:29:56
1 On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> This is rather odd.  For the longest, every time I had a cups update, I had
6 >>> to delete my printers then add them back again.  It would not print until I
7 >>> did so.
8 >>
9 >> I have to do that every time I plug my printer in...
10 >>
11 >> I print so infrequently, every time I want to print I turn the printer
12 >> on and plug it into my PC, and then spend 25 minutes trying to make it
13 >> work with CUPS again.
14 >
15 > Paul, I suspect you've got a udev configuration problem. Your printer
16 > *should* get some kind of persistent symlink pointing to its device
17 > node, probably derived from its serial number. If that isn't working
18 > properly, fixing it should fix your recurring CUPS issues. If udev is
19 > behaving properly, then perhaps CUPS is latching on to something more
20 > transient.
21
22 IIRC the issue in my particular case is related to loading and
23 unloading the usblp module. I have an HP LaserJet 1020 and use
24 foo2zjs. Attaching the printer must be done in this order:
25
26 modprobe usblp
27 plug in printer
28 rmmod usblp
29
30 If I plug in then printer without usblp (if I have blacklisted the
31 module), it won't work. If I plug in the printer and leave usblp
32 loaded, it won't work. I must load usblp, plug in the printer and then
33 rmmod usblp. If I add the printer in CUPS when it's in the wrong
34 state, it won't work either.
35
36 Usually I screw around with deleting/adding the printer until I
37 remember what the solution was in the first place. :)