From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 16:48:42
1 On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> This is rather odd.  For the longest, every time I had a cups update, I had
5 >> to delete my printers then add them back again.  It would not print until I
6 >> did so.
7 >
8 > I have to do that every time I plug my printer in...
9 >
10 > I print so infrequently, every time I want to print I turn the printer
11 > on and plug it into my PC, and then spend 25 minutes trying to make it
12 > work with CUPS again.
13
14 Paul, I suspect you've got a udev configuration problem. Your printer
15 *should* get some kind of persistent symlink pointing to its device
16 node, probably derived from its serial number. If that isn't working
17 properly, fixing it should fix your recurring CUPS issues. If udev is
18 behaving properly, then perhaps CUPS is latching on to something more
19 transient.
24 :wq