From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Fresh install and problem with net.* init.d script
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 21:07:00
1 On 24/07/2013 22:18, Steven J. Long wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> Peace and hugz OK?
4 >
5 > Definitely :-)
6 >
7 > "POSIX 4: Programming for the Real World" (Gallmeister, 1995)
8 > "UNIX Network Programming vol 2: Interprocess Communications" (Stevens, 1999)
9 >
10 > iirc the first is on safari-online; you can download code from the second here:
11 > http://www.kohala.com/start/unpv22e/unpv22e.html
12 >
13 > More here:
14 > https://foss.aueb.gr/posix/
15 >
16 > If you've not had the pleasure of W Richard Stevens' writing, you have a treat
17 > in-store. I'd guess you guys have at least read some of the TCP/Illustrated series,
18 > though.
19 >
20 > Regards,
21 > steveL.
25 I'll look into those, but do take note those books are 14 and 18 years
26 old - that's eternity in our world.
27
28 Basics never change, details do. Some features are here for the long
29 haul and I doubt anything will really change them: pipes, named pipes,
30 unix sockets and things of that ilk. The real bugbear with IPC is people
31 reinventing the wheel over and over and over to do simple messaging -
32 writing little daemons that do very little except listen for a small
33 number of messages from localhost and react to them.
34
35 Use a generic message bus for that! It fits nicely in the grand Unix
36 tradition of do one job and do it well, and few apps have passing
37 messages around as their core function. Hand it off to the system,
38 that's what it's there for.
39
40 One day I might well do an audit of a typical server base system and
41 count all the apps that have a hidden roll-your-own message process in
42 place. I'm certain the results will be scary.
46 Alan McKinnon
47 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com