From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Half error message on attempting to access You Tube from Firefox
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 15:55:29
1 On 04/26/2015 07:49 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > When I read a blog in Firefox 31.6.0, there are often You Tube film clips
5 > embedded in it. When I attempt to view these, I am getting, more and
6 > more frequently, the error message (from You Tube):
7 >
8 > "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats
9 > available. Click <here> to visit our frequently asked questions
10 > about HTML5 video."
11 >
12 > Fair enough. The connection between the first and second sentences is a
13 > bit vague, but I surmise from them that the video is available in HTML5
14 > format (whatever that is) and the link will instruct me on setting it up.
15 >
16 > Not a bit of it! That link, <https://www.youtube.com/html5>, says this:
17 >
18 > "Many YouTube videos will play using HTML5 in supported browsers. You
19 > can request that the HTML5 player be used if your browser doesn't use
20 > it by default."
21 >
22 > "If you encounter any problems, right-click on the player and choose
23 > "report playback issue", or let us know on the user support forums.
24 > Your feedback will help us continue to improve the player."
25 >
26 > , without telling me _how_ I can "request that the HTML5 player be used".
27 > Exactly what "the player" is that I should "right-click on" remains
28 > obscure.
29 >
30 > I feel that I'm missing some crucial piece of information which is
31 > obvious to everybody else.
32
33 This is pretty clever (and a bit scary). On that page do you see a clickable
34 button with the title "Request the HTML5 player"? If you don't see it, maybe
35 you have NoScript or some other script/ad blocker enabled in Firefox?
36
37 When I click on the "Request the HTML5 player" button, it changes color and
38 the button is now labelled "Use the default player".
39
40 I think it works by changing a Firefox setting in your prefs.js file, but I'm
41 not positive because my prefs.js file is so big I'm not willing to spend the
42 time to look through the whole thing (and that's the scary part). Anything
43 could be going on in that prefs.js file and I wouldn't have a clue. <shudder>