From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Half error message on attempting to access You Tube from Firefox
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 16:24:26
1 On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 08:55:10 -0700
2 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 04/26/2015 07:49 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > > Hello, Gentoo.
6 > >
7 > > When I read a blog in Firefox 31.6.0, there are often You Tube film
8 > > clips embedded in it. When I attempt to view these, I am getting,
9 > > more and more frequently, the error message (from You Tube):
10 > >
11 > > "Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video
12 > > formats available. Click <here> to visit our frequently asked
13 > > questions about HTML5 video."
14 > >
15 > > Fair enough. The connection between the first and second sentences
16 > > is a bit vague, but I surmise from them that the video is available
17 > > in HTML5 format (whatever that is) and the link will instruct me on
18 > > setting it up.
19 > >
20 > > Not a bit of it! That link, <https://www.youtube.com/html5>, says
21 > > this:
22 > >
23 > > "Many YouTube videos will play using HTML5 in supported
24 > > browsers. You can request that the HTML5 player be used if your
25 > > browser doesn't use it by default."
26 > >
27 > > "If you encounter any problems, right-click on the player and
28 > > choose "report playback issue", or let us know on the user support
29 > > forums. Your feedback will help us continue to improve the player."
30 > >
31 > > , without telling me _how_ I can "request that the HTML5 player be
32 > > used". Exactly what "the player" is that I should "right-click on"
33 > > remains obscure.
34 > >
35 > > I feel that I'm missing some crucial piece of information which is
36 > > obvious to everybody else.
37 >
38 > This is pretty clever (and a bit scary). On that page do you see a
39 > clickable button with the title "Request the HTML5 player"? If you
40 > don't see it, maybe you have NoScript or some other script/ad blocker
41 > enabled in Firefox?
42 >
43 > When I click on the "Request the HTML5 player" button, it changes
44 > color and the button is now labelled "Use the default player".
45 >
46 > I think it works by changing a Firefox setting in your prefs.js file,
47 > but I'm not positive because my prefs.js file is so big I'm not
48 > willing to spend the time to look through the whole thing (and that's
49 > the scary part). Anything could be going on in that prefs.js file
50 > and I wouldn't have a clue. <shudder>
51
52 It doesn't affect Fx settings -- it just sets a cookie. And I think
53 it only affects what happens when viewing youtube.com pages, not
54 youtube videos embedded in third-party pages.
55
56 The choice really between HTML5 and a Flash plugin, so maybe the button
57 doesn't show up if Flash isn't installed.
58
59 If you're viewing an HTML5 video, right-clicking anywhere on the video
60 brings up the context menu with 'report playback issues', provided
61 Firefox's dom.event.contextmenu.enabled is set to 'true', which is the
62 default.
63
64 Alan, I think Firefox relies on gstreamer for at least some of its
65 HTML5 playback capability, so USE="-gstreamer" may be at the root of
66 the issue. On the YouTube HTML5 page, do you get a "What does this
67 browser support?" section? If so, what does it say?