From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HowTo rebuild everything same way differently
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 18:16:50
1 On Friday 10 Apr 2015 18:36:11 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 10/04/2015 19:29, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > ok, the subject: is something "helpless"... ;)
6 > >
7 > > Before I screw up everything ... better ask:
8 > >
9 > > My Gentoo system is kinda "old"...not in the sense
10 > > of not being updated regulary but in the sense of
11 > > "used for a (too?) long time"
12
13 How "old" is old? I still have a box here running the same original gentoo
14 installation since 2005. I had another which died due to hardware failure
15 with its original 2003 installation.
18 > > Therefore I want to reinstall everything the same way (read: same
19 > > application and system funktionality) but in a different way: Using
20 > > a new stage3 (was it "3" ...dont remember exactly) and I want to make
21 > > the system "unstable" right from the beginning just to check, how that
22 > > works.
23
24 OK, that's a different requirement. Oldness doesn't come into it.
27 > > The only thing I dont know: How?
28 > >
29 > > What is the best (sanest) way to acchieve what I want in the most
30 > > efficient (time) way?
31 > >
32 > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
33 > > Best regards,
34 > > Meino
35 >
36 > So you want to reinstall?
37 > Right now you have an arch system and want the new one to be ~arch?
38 >
39 > 1. Have enough free disk space to hold the entire new install
40 > 2. Create partitions/disks/volumes/whatever for the new system
41 > 3. Follow the Gentoo install docs and install into this new volume
42 > 4. Copy all portage config files (/etc/portage/*, world) to new system
43 > 5. Chroot into new system as normal
44 > 6. Cleanup/remove old system. How to do this is left as an exercise for
45 > the reader.
46
47 Alan wisely recommends a low risk approach. If the new system comes a cropper
48 you can always return to your current installation.
49
50 Alternatively, create a back up, change the arch to ~arch in ACCEPT_KEYWORDS,
51 first rebuild @system and then the rest. Expect some breakages, there usually
52 are. Also, if you resync often expect a lot of time being spent emerging
53 packages and rolling back updates, compared with stable. For this purpose
54 using '--buildpkg y' is quite useful in rolling back any updates in short
55 order to a known good version.
58 Regards,
59 Mick