From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev.rules: Two "removeable" SATA-hds...how to map to /dev ???
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:44:21
1 From: "Richard Fish" <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
2 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev.rules: Two "removeable" SATA-hds...how to map to /dev ???
3 Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 02:19:09 -0700
4
5 > On 8/3/06, Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> wrote:
6 > > Hi,
7 > >
8 > > Trying to write some udev rules to map two identical (model wise)
9 > > SATA-harddiscs to different entries in /dev/. got a question mark
10 > > into my head:
11 >
12 > I don't see any obvious way of doing this with udev. I have some
13 > identical USB drives that I use, and I can identify them by serial
14 > number, but this doesn't seem possible for SATA drives.
15 >
16 > Your best bet may be to mount filesystems by label, or use LVM to
17 > accomplish something similar.
18 >
19 > -Richard
20 > --
21 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
24 Hi Richard !
25
26 (if just a moment before a incomplete posting by me has arrived you
27 and/or the list: SORRY! I pressed the wrong button accidentaly....)
28
29 Is this logically/technically correct, Richard: ?
30
31 - The BIOS recogizes the "first" disk (grub: hd0) only by the bus it
32 is attached to: A disk connected to "SATA connector 1" will be hd0,
33 and another one connected to "SATA connector 2" will be hd1
34 - Therefore grub can distinguish the disks and choose the correct one
35 to boot from right from the BIOS settings and the bus ID even all
36 disks attached to the system are physically and model-wise
37 absolutely identical.
38 - So, booting a kernel image from the correct disk will be no
39 problem.
40 - Now...I will label the root of my bootdisk (grub: hd0) with "root"
41 (only as an example...) and pass that as kernelparameter:
42
43 root="root"
44
45 - The system will boot and find its root also.
46 In the net it was mentioned that one has to configure the kernel
47 to recognize partition labels...was this an old "featire" or what
48 do I have to configure where? I searched through /proc/config.gz
49 and found nothing appropiate as I found nothing in
50 /usr/src/linux/Documentatio. Any idea ?
51
52 Is this correct so far ?
53
54 Leep booting !;)