From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing profiles
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:45:10
1 On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 07:28 -0800, Grant wrote:
2
3 > >> I've looked over this:
4 > >>
5 > >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
6 > >>
7 > >> but I'm still not sure if I can choose any of the above.
8 > >
9 > > ... why? Do you have a specific question? Did you even bother to try
10 > > to choose one?
11 >
12 > I read a while back that changing from certain profiles to certain
13 > other profiles is impossible without a complete reinstall. I'd like
14 > to change to hardened/amd64/multilib but also have the option to
15 > switch to default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop if I have problems with a
16 > hardened profile like I do on my laptop. Can I do all that?
17
18 Wow, why couldn't you have said that in your first post? It would have
19 saved a round trip. Also, and I'm probably nit-picking here, but
20 usually when I see a "I heard that" or "I read a while back" my initial
21 thought is "What is your source" because a lot of times people will say
22 things and have no idea wtf they're talking about (myself included).
23
24 I couldn't find anything to support that, in fact the official Gentoo
25 hardened docs seem to indicate you *can* switch to hardened (though you
26 should probably read the docs yourself) but you basically need to
27 recompile *everything* after switching to hardened. You should read the
28 hardened docs [1] and probably ask on the gentoo-hardened ML.
29
30 However if you just want to switch from 2007.0/desktop to 2008.0/desktop
31 that's perfectly fine/possible. If people had to re-install every year
32 when a new profile came out I think they'd get ticked off pretty quick.
33
34 -a