From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing profiles
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:57:20
1 >> >> I've looked over this:
2 >> >>
3 >> >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
4 >> >>
5 >> >> but I'm still not sure if I can choose any of the above.
6 >> >
7 >> > ... why? Do you have a specific question? Did you even bother to try
8 >> > to choose one?
9 >>
10 >> I read a while back that changing from certain profiles to certain
11 >> other profiles is impossible without a complete reinstall. I'd like
12 >> to change to hardened/amd64/multilib but also have the option to
13 >> switch to default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop if I have problems with a
14 >> hardened profile like I do on my laptop. Can I do all that?
15 >
16 > Wow, why couldn't you have said that in your first post? It would have
17 > saved a round trip. Also, and I'm probably nit-picking here, but
18 > usually when I see a "I heard that" or "I read a while back" my initial
19 > thought is "What is your source" because a lot of times people will say
20 > things and have no idea wtf they're talking about (myself included).
21 >
22 > I couldn't find anything to support that, in fact the official Gentoo
23 > hardened docs seem to indicate you *can* switch to hardened (though you
24 > should probably read the docs yourself) but you basically need to
25 > recompile *everything* after switching to hardened. You should read the
26 > hardened docs [1] and probably ask on the gentoo-hardened ML.
27 >
28 > However if you just want to switch from 2007.0/desktop to 2008.0/desktop
29 > that's perfectly fine/possible. If people had to re-install every year
30 > when a new profile came out I think they'd get ticked off pretty quick.
31
32 I'm really surprised to hear that. Can I switch my laptop from a
33 hardened profile to a non-hardened one? I know I've been told I can't
34 do that.
35
36 You think an 'eselect profile set 2 && emerge -e world' will
37 accomplish the entire thing?
38
39 - Grant