From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing profiles
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:29:01
1 On Dienstag 23 Dezember 2008, Grant wrote:
2 > >> >> I've looked over this:
3 > >> >>
4 > >> >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
5 > >> >>
6 > >> >> but I'm still not sure if I can choose any of the above.
7 > >> >
8 > >> > ... why? Do you have a specific question? Did you even bother to try
9 > >> > to choose one?
10 > >>
11 > >> I read a while back that changing from certain profiles to certain
12 > >> other profiles is impossible without a complete reinstall. I'd like
13 > >> to change to hardened/amd64/multilib but also have the option to
14 > >> switch to default/linux/amd64/2008.0/desktop if I have problems with a
15 > >> hardened profile like I do on my laptop. Can I do all that?
16 > >
17 > > Wow, why couldn't you have said that in your first post? It would have
18 > > saved a round trip. Also, and I'm probably nit-picking here, but
19 > > usually when I see a "I heard that" or "I read a while back" my initial
20 > > thought is "What is your source" because a lot of times people will say
21 > > things and have no idea wtf they're talking about (myself included).
22 > >
23 > > I couldn't find anything to support that, in fact the official Gentoo
24 > > hardened docs seem to indicate you *can* switch to hardened (though you
25 > > should probably read the docs yourself) but you basically need to
26 > > recompile *everything* after switching to hardened. You should read the
27 > > hardened docs [1] and probably ask on the gentoo-hardened ML.
28 > >
29 > > However if you just want to switch from 2007.0/desktop to 2008.0/desktop
30 > > that's perfectly fine/possible. If people had to re-install every year
31 > > when a new profile came out I think they'd get ticked off pretty quick.
32 >
33 > I'm really surprised to hear that. Can I switch my laptop from a
34 > hardened profile to a non-hardened one? I know I've been told I can't
35 > do that.
36 >
37 > You think an 'eselect profile set 2 && emerge -e world' will
38 > accomplish the entire thing?
39
40 no, you have to do -e system first because system does not belong to world
41 anymore (for a couple of month it does not belong to world anymore. 6 or
42 something like that).