From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: emailgrant@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Restrict certain web users by IP
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 20:49:08
1 On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:55:17 -0800
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > >> >> I use apache2 authentication for web users and I would like
6 > >> require
7 > >> >> logins from certain users to be from a certain IP address.
8 > >> >> I experimented with Allow and Require but couldn't find a way
10 > >> restrict
11 > >> >> only certain users. Can this be done via apache2
12 > >> >> authentication
13 > >> or
14 > >> >> should I use another method?
15 > >> >>
16 > >> >> - Grant
17 > >> >
18 > >> >
19 > >> > very simple via .htaccess
20 > >> >
21 > >> > <Limit GET POST>
22 > >> > order deny,allow
23 > >> > deny from all
24 > >> > allow from IP_address
25 > >> > </Limit>
26 > >> >
27 > >> > AuthName "restricted stuff"
28 > >> > AuthType Basic
29 > >> > AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/users
30 > >> > require user webmaster
31 > >>
32 > >> I think that will require any usernames specified to come from
33 > >> IP_address. I'm trying to allow certain usernames to come from
34 > >> any IP, and restrict other usernames to a certain IP. Can that be
35 > >> done via .htaccess?
36 > >>
37 > >> - Grant
40 > > You originally wanted "...logins from certain users to be from a
41 > > certain
42 > IP address"
43 > > Now, you want from "any IP" In this case just restrict users with:
46 > > AuthName "restricted stuff"
47 > > AuthType Basic
48 > > AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/users
49 > > require user webmaster
50 > >
51 > > Just assign "password and user" from root:
52 > > # htpasswd2 -c /etc/apache2/users your-user-name
53 >
54 > I'm sorry I haven't been clear about this. Sometimes an example is
55 > the best way.
56 >
57 > I want users jack and jill to be able to access the web content from
58 > any IP address, and I want users john and jacob to be able to access
59 > the web content only if they are coming from a certain IP address. I
60 > don't want anyone else to have access.
61 >
62 > - Grant
63
64 Run two vhosts that deliver the same content from the same DocumentRoot
65
66 One has jack and jill as users in htpasswd with no acls in place
67 The other has john and jacob as users in a different htpasswd with IP
68 acls in place
69
70 Trying to specify access rules to a group of users and not to other
71 users all in the same context is a problem that will drive you nuts in a
72 day. Rather side-step it entirely by applying your rules globaly to two
73 different things.
76 Alan McKinnon
77 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com