From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Restrict certain web users by IP
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:38:24
1 > > I want users jack and jill to be able to access the web content from
2 > > any IP address, and I want users john and jacob to be able to access
3 > > the web content only if they are coming from a certain IP address. I
4 > > don't want anyone else to have access.
5 > >
6 > > - Grant
7 >
8 > Run two vhosts that deliver the same content from the same DocumentRoot
9 >
10 > One has jack and jill as users in htpasswd with no acls in place
11 > The other has john and jacob as users in a different htpasswd with IP
12 > acls in place
13 >
14 > Trying to specify access rules to a group of users and not to other
15 > users all in the same context is a problem that will drive you nuts in a
16 > day. Rather side-step it entirely by applying your rules globaly to two
17 > different things.
18
19 So I'm sure I understand, if I want to keep the IP address which accesses
20 the web content the same, this means setting up a vhost for a port other
21 than 80 and 443 which the other vhosts are already set up on?
22
23 - Grant