From: Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive change
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 18:00:13
1 On 11/9/2012 10:14 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am Freitag, 9. November 2012, 01:38:41 schrieb mindrunner:
3 >> volker, what is your intention to say i am dumb and stupid. actually you
4 >> do not know me.
5 >
6 > everybody does something dumb and/or stupid once in a while. I average that
7 > one to 1/day.
8 >
9 > There are two ways to react if someone points out that something you do is not
10 > the best idea since sliced bread.
11 >
12 > -> oops. Yeah, I see it.
13 > or
14 > -> sulking.
15
16 I'm going to have to agree with Volker on this. I don't believe he was calling
17 *you* stupid - just the idea of using dd to transfer files from old drive to
18 new drive. The dd utility has it's good uses - that's just not one of those
19 good uses.
20
21 > no, it does not. Apart from fragmentation you also copy all deleted files. All
22 > damaged blocks AND the UUID.
23 >
24 > Oh, and it is slow (I know, fiddling with blocksize etc you can speed it up a
25 > lot. Still slow).
26
27 Yes, you copy everything with dd, and it is extremely slow. It is better to
28 use another utility to just copy the files and directory structure from the old
29 drive to the new one.
30
31 > Create an image with dd to do some file rescuing? forensic stuff? as a template
32 > for containers? To burn it on a dvd/cd? Well, those are valid uses for dd.
33 > Converting files? Yes, that is what dd was made for.
34
35 Agreed.
36
37 > Copying a partition to another disk, different disk? Wow.. that is just wrong.
38 > Even if both disks were identical it would not be great idea. Just a 'well, it
39 > does work and at least I am not punishing the new disk' way to do it.
40 >
41 > Mind you, cp -auv is not the best way either. With ACLs&co it is not such a
42 > good choice. And I am surprised that Joerg Schilling hasn't posted how
43 > incredible star is for this job yet. Btw, star is a really good tool for the
44 > job. It just needs a lot of typing.
45 >
46 > tar, rsync, cp, star... there are many good or good enough ways to copy files
47 > from one harddisk to another
48 >
49 > dd doesn't belong in that category.
50
51 Very true. I'd personally rather use tar or even dar to copy the files. cp
52 has it's limitations, though it is faster, as it doesn't use compression
53 (technically, you don't need that with tar, either).
54
55 Regards,
56 Chris
59 ---
60 avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
61 Virus Database (VPS): 121109-0, 11/09/2012
62 Tested on: 11/9/2012 12:56:53 PM
63 avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2012 AVAST Software.