From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New gentoo installation fails when trying to install syslog-ng
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:43:29
1 On Thursday 15 Sep 2011 09:14:34 Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 15. September 2011 00:27:43 Trifu Catalin Florin wrote:
3 > > On 2011-09-14 22:23, Michael Mol wrote:
4 > >
5 > > It seams that the discussion degenerated on how to send emails... Can
6 > > anyone please help regarding my problem? It seems that indeed I have an
7 > > old kernel version, but how is that possible taking into consideration
8 > > that I have used genkernel? How can I upgrade it?
9 >
10 > You did not reboot. genkernel maybe built a new kernel and installed it
11 > into /boot, but to make use of the newly built kernel, you have to reboot.
12 > If you think, that rebooting is not suitable right now, I offered two
13 > alternative (possible) solutions to your compile problems.
14 >
15 > 1) disable sandbox temporarily
16 > 2) use busybox's touch instead
17 >
18 > googling now... a here's a reference:
19 > http://foxpa.ws/2011/04/12/portage-errors-touch-no-such-file-or-directory/
20 > I was wrong. You don't need a kernel > 2.6.22, you need a kernel >= 2.6.22
21 > :)
22
23 If you are still chroot'ed into your new installation you are using the LiveCD
24 kernel, which may not be particularly fresh.
25
26 To use your newly compiled genkernel you will need to exit the chroot and
27 reboot into your new system (don't forget to eject the LiveCD). I think it
28 shouldn't matter if syslog-ng is not emerged yet, you should be able to emerge
29 it when you boot into your new Gentoo system.
30
31 An alternative would be to use a different LiveCD with a more up to date
32 kernel. You can try:
33
34 http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
35
36 which is kept current by its developers.
37
38 HTH.
39 --
40 Regards,