From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another openoffice build failure
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 01:41:57
1 At Sat, 02 Sep 2006 19:14:56 -0400 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2
3 > At Sat, 02 Sep 2006 14:10:10 -0700 Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 9/2/06, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
6 >>> Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-minimal.c: 137: realloc: Assertion `new == ptr' failed!
7 >>
8 >> Well this looks suspiciously like a hardware problem to me, but it
9 >> could also be simply running out of memory. Can you try:
10 >>
11 >> MAKEOPTS=-j1 emerge --oneshot openoffice
12 >>
13 >> You might also want to add a fan to blow on your laptop while the
14 >> build is running... :-)
15 >
16 > I should have thought of -j1, thanks. It is running now. Will try
17 > the fan if this fails. I will also check to see if it dies in the
18 > same place, which would argue against the hardware problem.
19
20 Failed at exactly the same place. Since each log file is 30,544 lines
21 long, it doesn't seem likely to be heat related (i.e., I would suspect
22 that a heat related hardware failure would not be so deterministic as
23 to fail after so many compiles in the same place).
24
25 I am not sure, but it might be that the ebuild forces -j1 by itself
26
27 ,----
28 | src_compile() {
29 |
30 | unset LIBC
31 | addpredict "/bin"
32 | addpredict "/root/.gconfd"
33 | addpredict "/root/.gnome"
34 |
35 | # Should the build use multiprocessing? Not enabled by default, as it tends to break
36 | export JOBS="1"
37 |
38 | ...
39 |
40 | ./configure ${MYCONF} \
41 | --with-distro="${DISTRO}" \
42 | --with-arch="${ARCH}" \
43 | --with-srcdir="${DISTDIR}" \
44 | --with-lang="${LINGUAS_OOO}" \
45 | --with-num-cpus="${JOBS}" \
46 `----
47
48 I then though of possibly running out of disk space. That seemed
49 unlikely since I had 7.5G and it failed comparatively early in the
50 run. But to be sure I ran it again with
51
52 while true; do df -h | grep /mnt/hdc10; sleep 10; done >> /tmp/time
53
54 also running and the available space never went below 5.9G. Once
55 again it failed at the same place.
56
57 So I don't see it as a hardware failure, due to the repeatability.
58 It is not inadequate disk space.
59 I have 1GB of mem
60 ajglap hdc10 # cat /proc/meminfo
61 MemTotal: 1033932 kB
62 MemFree: 72632 kB
63 Buffers: 40180 kB
64 Cached: 559036 kB
65 SwapCached: 0 kB
66 Active: 628840 kB
67 Inactive: 253460 kB
68 HighTotal: 130876 kB
69 HighFree: 284 kB
70 LowTotal: 903056 kB
71 LowFree: 72348 kB
72 SwapTotal: 2008084 kB
73 SwapFree: 2007840 kB
74 Dirty: 44 kB
75 Writeback: 0 kB
76 Mapped: 398488 kB
77 Slab: 63836 kB
78 CommitLimit: 2525048 kB
79 Committed_AS: 923704 kB
80 PageTables: 2320 kB
81 VmallocTotal: 114680 kB
82 VmallocUsed: 33344 kB
83 VmallocChunk: 77812 kB
84
85 I am not sure what to try next. I suppose I could try to revert back
86 to gcc3.4.6
87 ajglap hdc10 # gcc-config --list-profiles
88 [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6
89 [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardened
90 [3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardenednopie
91 [4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardenednopiessp
92 [5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardenednossp
93 [6] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.1 *
94 ajglap hdc10 #
95
96 Any ideas would be welcome