From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL Upgrade
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 23:55:36
1 Jeff Smelser wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 02 November 2005 02:23 pm, kashani wrote:
5 >> Because once you start caring about your db that much it's usually
6 >>easier to setup a crap box that replicates off your master. Then you can
7 >>lock the whole db on your slave and do a mysqldump without causing
8 >>issues on your main db regardless of which table type you're using. You
9 >>also get the added benefit of a hot backup and no I/O hits on the main db.
10 >
11 > No, thats unfeasable.. Your talking about little DB's.. I have a 300+ gig
12 > dbs's here and replication isnt the answer. Specially considering it is
13 > statement level over row level.
14
15 Don't think you could have brought up the fact that you're complaining
16 about the shortcomings of Mysql in an entirely different class than I
17 and likely the original poster were talking about? I'd have wanted to
18 know a bit more about the setup before attempting to needlessly
19 complicating everything.
20
21 So yes, if your db is 20 GB or less, what I mentioned will probably
22 work without too much trouble. If your db is 100 GB or larger, you're
23 likely spending enough on hardware and software to solve your issues
24 that some vendor will offer to buy you flaming Tiki drinks so it's not
25 all bad.
26
27 kashani
28 --