From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] k3b burning BD-Disk pretends to fail at 99.99%
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 11:44:04
1 On Saturday 13 Jul 2013 11:08:07 Thomas Schmitt wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > > attemting to create a
5 > > BD-RE disk (Re-recordables are nice, sine non-RW media don't grow in my
6 > > garden ;-)
7 >
8 > Yeah. A BD-R tree would be a fine thing.
9 >
10 > Note that growisofs on BD-RE would not show the bug at the end.
11 > It happens only with BD-R which you submit in blank state.
12 >
13 > If you treat your BD-R with dvd+rw-format before using them,
14 > the bug should not show up.
15 >
16 > If you can talk K3b into using growisofs option
17 > -use-the-force-luke=spare:none
18 > then it will not format the blank BD-R, work with full nominal
19 > speed, and should not show the bug. (There will be no Defect
20 > Management. So there will be no checkreading and no replacement
21 > of bad blocks.)
22 >
23 > ---------------------------------------------------------------
24 >
25 > I wrote a mail to media-optical@g.o, proposing the patch
26 > for growisofs.
27 > Regrettably there was no reaction yet.
28 >
29 > Maybe if enough Gentoo users complain ...
32 Hi Thomas, this problem can either be fixed by patching growisofs as you
33 suggest, or by changing k3b to use cdrtools in preference to growisofs - not
34 sure if this can be done with a USE flag. The latter seems more reliable to
35 me, because Joerg keeps his code up to date, but I don't know enough to make a
36 case for either option.
37
38 Either way, perhaps the OP should file a quick bug report at
39 https://bugs.gentoo.org/ and mention both options as a request. Then the rest
40 of us can chime in to encourage the devs to progress this.
41 --
42 Regards,
43 Mick