From: Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] k3b burning BD-Disk pretends to fail at 99.99%
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 12:36:12
1 Hi,
2
3 michaelkintzios@×××××.com:
4 > Hi Thomas, this problem can either be fixed by patching growisofs as you
5 > suggest, or by changing k3b to use cdrtools in preference to growisofs
6
7 Joerg will heavily object, but my sincere opinion as
8 technical expert on this field is that growisofs is
9 the better choice.
10
11 I mentioned in this thread what i dislike about it.
12 Joerg added the fact that it is unmaintained since 5 years.
13
14 But aside from that, i cannot point to any reason why
15 growisofs is an inferior burn backend compared with my
16 own software which i try hard to make as good as possible.
19 > Joerg keeps his code up to date
20
21 Yep. Joerg and i seem to be the only active developers on
22 this field.
23
24 But there has nothing new happened with optical media since
25 Andy left the playground. If not for this BD-R bug, nobody
26 would care that growisofs is unmaintained.
27 Currently i have the impression that in most distros the
28 whole topic of optical media and their filesystems is
29 unmaintained or at least under-maintained.
32 cdrecord on DVD and BD suffers from Joerg's peculiar way to
33 read the specs (and to not disclose which paragraphs exactly,
34 when his understanding is brought into question).
35 His and my understanding of MMC seem fundamentally incompatible.
36
37 Obviously Andy Polykov read the same specs as i, when he
38 created dvd+rw-tools.
39
40 If people need technical support about growisofs, then i am
41 ready to help. I am subscribed to cdwrite@××××××××××××.org
42 which is the official place to submit bug reports and requests
43 for dvd+rw-tools.
46 Have a nice day :)
47
48 Thomas