From: Benjamin Block <bebl@××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] creating an image of the system
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 18:51:08
1 On 17:07 Sun 08 Sep , Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 08 Sep 2013 19:51:25 Benjamin Block wrote:
4 > >> Hej folks,
5 > >>
6 > >> I wonder what is a good way to create an image of a gentoo-system, so
7 > >> that one can apply it later to the same or other computers.
8 > >>
9 > >> In my case it is a rather simple setup: one partition, no encryption or
10 > >> lvm. Its a debug-setup, so its only used for certain programming-tasks
11 > >> and not for daily work, so no need for something fancy. The time I setup
12 > >> that system I also used only conservative compilation-flags and
13 > >> optimisation, so that it can be used on other CPUs (well, they have to
14 > >> be x86_64 and have to have mmx/sse[23] - but I think every setup that I
15 > >> intend to use this on will have these properties).
16 > >>
17 > >> So I reckon that one could just use tar with permission-preservation and
18 > >> some excludes like dev/sys/proc/tmp. But is this a good idea or is there
19 > >> a better way to do this? I never cloned a gentoo-system, so thats why I
20 > >> would like to be at least somewhat sure about it, so that I don't have
21 > >> to reconfigure it later again, because I messed it up :D
22 > >>
23 > >> best regards,
24 > >> - Ben
25 > >
26 > > You're referring to a 'stage 4' iso. Have a look at this M/L perhaps
27 > 5 years
28 > > back when I recall someone posting a thread about it.
29 > >
30 > > There may also be a thread in the forums and potentially the (old) wiki.
33 > http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Custom_Stage4
34 >
35 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Backup
36 >
37 > One of those should help. If not, Google for "Gentoo starge4" without
38 > the quotes of course.
41 ok, thank you both for pointing out how this is called and the links.
42 Could have thought of "stage 4" myself, it's somewhat logic ;)
45 - Ben