From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 20:32:46
1 On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Joshua D Doll <joshua.doll@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think the Handbook and other Official gentoo docs are well and written. I
5 >> feel they are so well written and informative that a new user could read and
6 >> follow what the doc is trying to convey.
9 >> --Joshua Doll
10 >
11 > I agree. Everything except the grub part. It's well written but it
12 > requires more knowledge about the actual hardware than the rest of it,
13 > especially if you do it wrong and have to recover.
14
15 I helped my brother install Ubuntu and the lack of control over grub
16 was frustrating. It just did what it wanted to do without asking
17 (which was install grub onto the wrong drive with the wrong drive
18 numbers, because the BIOS boot order did not match Ubuntu's detected
19 drive order). If that drive had been part of a RAID or had some
20 important metadata in the boot sector, it could have been a disaster.
21
22 No distro is perfect. Gentoo is perfect for me, though :)