From: Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD64 Stability?
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 14:16:04
1 On Wednesday 06 September 2006 14:39, Friedrich Göpel wrote:
2 > On 9/6/06, Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > I am wondering if I should run x86 an an athlon 64. I am upgrading my
5 > > win box to athlon x2 4600 and I'll use the old athlon 64 for gentoo.
6 > > Does using x86 make the 64 athlon act as 2 processors (what config is
7 > > needed) If it will act like 2 processors is that faster or slower than
8 > > using the 64 setup?
9 >
10 > Running 64 or 32 bit kernel and/or userland has absolutely nothing to
11 > do with enabling smp support in the kernel, which seems to be what you
12 > meant.
13 >
14 Perhaps I didn't express myself correctly.
15 I thought that you could rum an athlon 64 as 2 32's enabling smp and
16 installing all programs under x86.
17 If this is correct I would like to know the correct steps to take. i.e. would
18 I need to start from scratch or use my current setup and compile the kernel
19 (as what?)
20
21 Paul
24 This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list