From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and LUKS
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:20:51
1 On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 09:22:37AM +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 03.09.2013 23:31, schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:
3 >
4 > > This link gave me the deciding hint -- I didn't have
5 > > cryptsetup-generator in my system, because I didn’t have the
6 > > cryptsetup useflags enabled. I rebuilt systemd and udisks and now
7 > > I’m prompted for the LUKS password during boot. \o/
8 >
9 > Congratulations!
10 >
11 > sidenote: The mentioned pam_mount way of doing things lets you boot
12 > through to a login. No waiting for the passphrase ... when I login the
13 > LUKS-device is opened and mounted ... only one time user/pw ...
14 > personally I like it that way.
15
16 Finding stuff on pam_mount doesn’t seem to be too hard. But how do I
17 prevent systemd from trying it first? Just by disabling the service?
18
19 > > Now I need to find out whether it’s feasible for me to use it. I’ll
20 > > definitely have to procure some custom unit files, e.g. for
21 > > monitorix.
22 > […]
23 > pls share your unit as well (or even file it as a bug on
24 > bugs.gentoo.org) to help the gentoo devs (and users) here.
25
26 Well, it’s an experiment, but I’m still quite hesitant to switch. It
27 really shuts down fast (1 to 2 seconds or so), but I don’t see much
28 improvement in booting time (still around 40 seconds until KDM is
29 finished). I like the small stuff around it though, for instance
30 timedatectl is neat and that there is no consolekit thread spam in htop.
31
32 I also see now why some people rant about it, e.g. that it has an own
33 logging daemon (“one big block of everything”) which uses a binary data
34 format. OTOH, logging becomes very handy with it in that you can see all
35 messages associated with a particular service. Systemdadm is a start,
36 but impractical on a netbook screen.
37
38 I was hoping I could have openrc and systemd in parallel on the system
39 (so I don’t have to maintain two systems, especially on a slow netbook),
40 but b/c I removed consolekit altogether, a lot of stuff doesn’t work
41 anymore if I try booting with openrc.
42
43 Perhaps someone can give me a hint about the following:
44 - I’m missing openrc’s feature of using the menu key to switch between
45 the last two TTYs, that’s very useful.
46 - No login prompt on TTY1.
47 - A resource link on how to set up networking without network manager. I
48 always did it the conf.d/net way.
49
50 Cheers.
51 --
52 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
53 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
54
55 Dyslexics of the world, untie!