From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] burning HD mpeg4 to dvd
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 01:41:31
1 On 04/18/09 01:47, Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On 17 Apr 2009, at 20:43, Joseph wrote:
4 >> ... I have new camera that records HD (1920x1080) mpeg4 movies, most files
5 >> are below 3GB;
6 >
7 > Assuming videos of your dog / cat / children you're probably best storing
8 > the original video files on hard-disk, burning as a DVD at standard
9 > definitions (720x480 or 720x576) and enjoying the movies like that for the
10 > meantime. I would revisit hi-def video disks in 5 years time, when more
11 > tools are available, when you have a living-room player that will cope with
12 > 1920x1080 and when hi-def disks are cheap. You _may_ be able to record
13 > blu-ray format onto DVD, but since you couldn't playback such a disk
14 > yourself, why bother? Many viewers are unable to distinguish between DVD &
15 > blu-ray.
16 >
17 > Watch out for framerate issues - you should probably be capturing at the
18 > correct framerate for your output format, as conversion between framerates
19 > is problematic ("lossy").
20 >
21 > Stroller.
22
23 I think that the most sensible advice :-)
24
25 I can convert current HD mp4's for storage a DVD:
26
27 mkisofs -o foobar.iso foobar.mpg4
28 cdrecord -v dev=/dev/dvd foobar.iso
29
30 though, I'll not be able to play them on any DVD.
31 For current usage I just convert them to standard DVD:
32
33 ffmpeg -i foobar.mpg4 -target ntsc-dvd foobar.mpg # convert to mpeg2
34 dvdauthor -t -o foobar foobar.mpg # author the file
35 dvdauthor -T -o foobar
38 Joseph