From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] burning HD mpeg4 to dvd
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:47:13
1 On 17 Apr 2009, at 20:43, Joseph wrote:
2 > ... I have new camera that records HD (1920x1080) mpeg4 movies, most
3 > files are below 3GB;
4
5 Assuming videos of your dog / cat / children you're probably best
6 storing the original video files on hard-disk, burning as a DVD at
7 standard definitions (720x480 or 720x576) and enjoying the movies like
8 that for the meantime. I would revisit hi-def video disks in 5 years
9 time, when more tools are available, when you have a living-room
10 player that will cope with 1920x1080 and when hi-def disks are cheap.
11 You _may_ be able to record blu-ray format onto DVD, but since you
12 couldn't playback such a disk yourself, why bother? Many viewers are
13 unable to distinguish between DVD & blu-ray.
14
15 Watch out for framerate issues - you should probably be capturing at
16 the correct framerate for your output format, as conversion between
17 framerates is problematic ("lossy").
18
19 Stroller.