From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] mysterious segfaults
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 14:34:36
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: matthew.garman@×××××.com [mailto:matthew.garman@×××××.com]
3 > Sent: 02 March 2006 13:29
4 > To: gentoo-user
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] mysterious segfaults
9 > Recently, programs on my computer have been victims of abrupt
10 > segfaults.
11 [snip...]
12 > Anyone else ever experience anything like this? Anyone have any
13 > thoughts as to what the problem might be?
14
15 The random nature of your segfaults probably points to an overheating
16 problem. I am saying that because if you waited for a while before the
17 segfaulting disappeared, the particular device (CPU, hard drive, memory)
18 cooled down and was able to function again. Easy to test this
19 hypothesis with a domestic comfort cooling fan blowing towards an open
20 case. More difficult to find out what particular device overheats. A
21 problematic cooling fan (CPU, PSU, case) would usually become noisier as
22 its bearings are drying out (a drop of oil will provide an instant fix).
23 So would a hard drive.
24
25 If the application of a domestic cooling fan does not relieve the
26 problem, then it could well be faulty memory module(s), or a faulty
27 power supply.
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick