From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 23:06:19
1 On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 13:52:22 -0400, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> After reading that, and other similar threads, I still don't
5 >> understand the benefits of a separated /usr.
6 >
7 > Putting it on a logical volume is one advantage, allowing /usr to be
8 > resized should the need arise.
9
10 Why not allow / to be resized entirely? You probably will take the
11 machine off-line anyway.
12
13 >> Mounting it read-only
14 >> seems the only sensible one, and then I think is better to go all the
15 >> way and mount / read-only.
16 >
17 > Putting /etc on a read-only filesystem seems a really bad idea.
18
19 mount -o remount,rw /
20 emerge --sync && emerge -uDNv world
21 dispatch-conf
22 mount -o remount,ro /
23
24 Or, if you only want to modify some configuration file (which in a
25 sane environment doesn't happen that often):
26
27 mount -o remount,rw /
28 adduser fulano ...
29 mount -o remount,ro /
30
31 Again, I don't see the reason for a separated /usr. But *again*, if
32 that's what you want, you will be able to do it. You will just need an
33 initramfs.
34
35 Regards.
36 --