From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/sda* missing at boot
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 23:41:01
1 On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 13:52:22 -0400, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> After reading that, and other similar threads, I still don't
6 >>> understand the benefits of a separated /usr.
7 >>
8 >> Putting it on a logical volume is one advantage, allowing /usr to be
9 >> resized should the need arise.
10 >
11 > Why not allow / to be resized entirely? You probably will take the
12 > machine off-line anyway.
13
14 A few months ago, I had to recover a live Debian machine which had
15 massive filesystem corruption in /usr; the hard drive it was on had
16 begun going bad, and it was taking out /usr slowly.
17
18 I wound up being able to recover by doing a full reinstall of all
19 packages on the live system after mounting /usr into a freshly-mkfs'd
20 new lvm volume. If I'd taken the system offline, it would have been
21 much more difficult.
22
23 (As it was, I was shocked it worked)
26 >>> Mounting it read-only
27 >>> seems the only sensible one, and then I think is better to go all the
28 >>> way and mount / read-only.
29 >>
30 >> Putting /etc on a read-only filesystem seems a really bad idea.
31 >
32 > mount -o remount,rw /
33 > emerge --sync && emerge -uDNv world
34 > dispatch-conf
35 > mount -o remount,ro /
36 >
37 > Or, if you only want to modify some configuration file (which in a
38 > sane environment doesn't happen that often):
39 >
40 > mount -o remount,rw /
41 > adduser fulano ...
42 > mount -o remount,ro /
43
44 So, no hobbyists? Operating a 'sane' environment at home isn't how
45 I've taught myself Linux. In a production environment, sure; having
46 everything possible be read-only is nice, from a security standpoint.
49 > Again, I don't see the reason for a separated /usr. But *again*, if
50 > that's what you want, you will be able to do it. You will just need an
51 > initramfs.
52
53 Yeah, great. Used to be, I could configure needed components to be
54 built-ins in the kernel.
57 :wq